Synopsys introduced the DesignWare ARC EM Starter Kit for the ARC EM family of embedded processor cores. The DesignWare ARC EM Starter Kit, ARC EM4 and ARC EM6 processor cores and associated development tools are available now. The DesignWare ARC EM4 and ARC EM6 processor cores are optimized for use in embedded and deeply embedded applications such as sensors, storage devices, appliances, consumer electronics, and battery-operated devices where high performance, small size and minimal power consumption are essential.
Synopsys DesignWare ARC EM Starter Kit Features
- Rapid software development for ARC EM processor cores
- Ready-to-use out of the box
- Based on Xilinx Spartan-6 LX45
- 128 MByte DDR3
- On-board clock generation
- Six connectors for hardware extensions
- Pre-installed FPGA images with different configurations of DesignWare ARC EM4 and EM6 processor cores
- Flexible selection of UART, SPI, I2C and GPIO peripherals
- JTAG and serial console over USB
- Standard 20-pin JTAG connector also supporting 4-wire JTAG for ARC EM processor
- 8Mbyte for application software available in on-board flash
- SD-Card for additional application software and data storage
- MQX real-time operating system including peripheral drivers
- Application examples
- MetaWare Development Toolkit
The Synopsys DesignWare EM Starter Kit is a platform for rapid software development and code porting, as well as software debugging and system analysis for the ARC EM processors. It is also used for application and product prototyping and demos. The kit is ready for use “out-of-the-box” and enables designers to immediately begin writing code for their design.
The ARC EM Starter Kit includes a base board and daughter card. The daughter card features a Xilinx Spartan-6 LX45 FPGA, an on-board 125 MHz clock generator, 128 MB of DDR3 memory and 16 MB of flash memory. The flash memory supports the storage of application software and contains four pre-installed ARC EM processor core bit files that can be selected with a dual in-line package (DIP) switch.
The base board allows multiple connectivity and configurable I/O options, making it easy to add circuitry and build subsystems around the EM processors. This quick and easy system configuration capability enables software development prior to final SoC hardware availability. Example code, peripheral drivers and an MQX RTOS binary are available for the kit. A Secure Digital (SD) card slot on the base board offers additional application software and data storage. The kit also includes a Digilent Pmod Compatible board featuring an I2C 4-channel 12-bit A/D converter, an AC power adapter and a mini-USB cable.
More info: Synopsys DesignWare ARC EM Starter Kit