Blackhawk introduced the Scribe I2C bus analyzer. The Blackhawk Scribe is an entry level I2C debugging tool packed with features. The Blackhawk Scribe helps engineers to save development time by providing low level visibility and control of an I2C bus. The Scribe is Blackhawk’s first product introduction outside of their core JTAG emulation-based products. The tool is ideal for both entry-level and complex I2C applications. For the first 90 days, the Blackhawk Scribe is available at an introductory price of $1,295. The regular price is $1,600.
The Blackhawk hardware and software is a convenient and intuitive environment for hardware debugging, software development, and in-system programming. With the tool, there is no longer a need to hook up a logic analyzer to capture traffic on the bus and then spend hours sifting through mountains of data in order to find that a particular bit.
The Scribe is ideal for embedded software and firmware development, hardware debug, and system performance verification. Developers are able to monitor and log I2C bus traffic in real-time; all decoded I2C protocol data is displayed in an easily comprehended format.
Hardware debugging features include exercising the I2C bus and communicating with its peripheral components which provides a convenient interface to “peek” and “poke” device registers while simultaneously watching traffic on the bus. In-System Programming (ISP) capabilities are also included to facilitate programming and verification of I2C-compatible EEPROM devices using the Scribe’s intuitive “single-click” interface to display and update memory contents.
Blackhawk Scribe Features
- Supports I2C and SMBus
- High-speed USB 2.0 interface
- Supports Standard-mode, Fast-mode, and Fast-mode Plus (Fm+) using bit rates up to 5 Mbit/s
- Supports High-speed mode (Hs-mode) monitoring up to 5 Mbit/s
- Non-intrusive traffic monitoring with unlimited time-stamped state and waveform recording, message filtering, and symbolic translation
- Two general purpose I/O channels
- Programmable trigger event to highlight bus transactions of interest
- Automatic detection of bus voltage and signal thresholds
- Programmable bus voltage reference and pull-up resistors on the SDA and SCL lines
- In-System Programming of popular serial EEPROMs
- 64-Bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 software support
More info: Blackhawk Scribe I2C Bus Analyzer (pdf)