Microchip Technology announced their Graphics Display Designer X. GDD X is an enhanced visual design tool that provides a quick and easy way of creating Graphical User Interface (GUI) screens for applications using Microchip’s 16-or 32-bit PIC MCUs. Microchip Graphics Display Designer X gives developers the freedom to work in the environment of their choice, such as Windows, Linux or Mac OS operating systems. The GDD X is available now for download.
GDD X enables the development of GUIs in a What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) environment. The tool saves design time by automatically generating the C code needed for the user interface. GDD X is ideal for applications in the automotive (numeric, gauge or infotainment displays), industrial (operator touch-screen interfaces), home-appliance (coffeemakers, refrigerators, cook tops, microwave ovens), consumer-electronics (home automation, alarms and learning toys) and medical markets (bedside monitoring or medical lab analysis equipment).
GDD X enables development using Microchip’s Graphics Library, and can be used as a stand-alone tool or as a plug-in to Microchip’s free MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE). The software allows the creation of a project with configurable display resolution, and imports all the required driver/board support files into MPLAB X. Generated code can be compiled and tested on hardware. Key improvements to the original GDD include: thumbnail view of screens and snap-to-grid feature, cut/copy/paste, auto object align, and event handling, as well as palette support for 1-, 4-, and 8-bits-per-pixel (bpp) color modes.
Microchip Graphics Display Designer X Features
- Creation/Opening/Saving of a project with configurable display resolution
- Draw, resize, and delete screen objects
- Automatic calculation of the X/Y coordinates for on-screen object placements
- Cut, Copy, paste properties
- Thumbnail screen listing
- Alignment of widgets can be done with auto-suggestion or through configurable grid size
- Information box to provide context sensitive information
- Automatic code generation. Code generation imports all required driver/board support files into MPLABX
- Images/Fonts used in the project can be configurable to Internal/External memory
- Snap to grid feature
More info: Microchip Graphics Display Designer X