Microchip, Digilent Debut chipKIT uC32 Development Platform and Wi-Fi Shield
Microchip Technology and Digilent introduced the chipKIT uC32 open-source development platform and the chipKIT Wi-Fi Shield. The chipKIT uC32 is based on Microchip’s 32-bit PIC32 microcontroller. The chipKIT Wi-Fi Shield enables designers to implement wireless projects with chipKIT, Uno32 and Max32 boards. The chipKIT uC32 is priced at $34.99 each. The chipKIT Wi-Fi Shield is priced at $49.99 each.
Digilent’s chipKIT uC32 development board features Microchip PIC32MX340F512H microcontroller, 512 KB Flash and up to 32 KB RAM. Twelve of the PIC32′s I/O pins can be used as analog inputs or as digital inputs and outputs. The uC32 board provides a single, general-purpose development platform for designers to create a wide range of 32-bit MCU-based applications using the free, Arduino compatible chipKIT IDE — called the Multi-Platform IDE, or MPIDE.
chipKIT Wi-Fi Shield
The Digilent chipKIT Wi-Fi Shield makes use of Microchip’s agency-certified MRF24WB0MA Wi-Fi module, and provides chipKIT microcontroller boards with the ability to communicate via IEEE 802.11 compatible wireless networks. The Wi-Fi Shield also provides a microSD card connector for use with microSD Flash memory cards. The chipKIT MPIDE SD library can be used to read/write files stored on the microSD card. The chipKIT Wi-Fi Shield enables designers to implement wireless projects with the chipKIT line of microcontroller boards, such as the new uC32, or existing Uno32 and Max32 boards.
Digilent chipKIT Uno32
- Microchip PIC32 32-bit MIPS processor (PIC32MX320F128)
- Compatible with many existing Arduino code examples, reference materials and other resources
- Arduino “Uno” form factor
- Compatible with many Arduino shields
- 42 available I/O
Digilent chipKit WiFi Shield
- IEEE 802.11b-compliant RF transceiver
- Serialized unique MAC address
- 1 and 2Mbps data rates
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n-compatible
- Integrated PCB antenna
- Range: up to 400m (1300 ft)
- Radio regulation certification for the United States (FCC), Canada (IC), Europe (ETSI), and Japan (ARIB)
- Wi-Fi certified (WFA ID: WFA7150)
- Micro SD card connector
- Four LEDs
If you are familiar with RSS feeds, you can also sign up for our free blog feed. Our RSS feed is updated in real-time while our newsletter is updated daily.