The ZigBee Alliance introduced the ZigBee Remote Control, which is the new global standard for advanced RF remote controls. ZigBee Remote Control features non-line-of-sight operation, two-way communication, longer range of use and extended battery life for a variety of consumer electronic (CE) devices including HDTV, home theater equipment, set-top boxes, and other audio equipment. ZigBee Remote Control is the first public application profile designed specifically for use with the ZigBee RF4CE specification.
ZigBee Remote Control Highlights
- Ability to locate misplaced remote controls
- Common command set for true interoperability eliminating the need for multiple remote controls
- Control of equipment stored almost anywhere, including behind wood and glass doors or in other rooms
- Enhanced user interfaces and advanced display capabilities
- New interactive capabilities and the ability to navigate content on the remote’s LCD
- Over-the-air upgrades and programmability
ZigBee Remote Control frees consumers from pointing remotes at devices, offers flexible control from nearby rooms, enables unique two-way communications between the remote and device, plus delivers improved remote battery life for a variety of consumer electronic (CE) devices like HDTV, home theater equipment, set-top boxes and other audio equipment.
ZigBee Remote Control replaces 30 year-old infrared (IR) technology with radio frequency (RF) control and eliminates the pointing confusion and other performance problems associated with IR remotes and large screen LCD and plasma televisions.
The ZigBee Remote Control profile gives CE manufacturers a defined standard to create interoperable products offering advanced communications between devices and remote controls, regardless of manufacturer. The profile is currently available to all ZigBee Alliance members.
More info: ZigBee