The MathWorks rolled out MATLAB and Simulink, Release 2009b (R2009b). The R2009b release features faster performance and enhanced handling of large data sets. The new release builds on component-based modeling features in Simulink and updates 83 other products (including PolySpace code verification products). The latest release also includes support for the 64-bit Mac platform. The R2009b release is available now and is being provided to users with current subscriptions to MathWorks Software Maintenance Service.
MATLAB R2009b Features
- Mapping Toolbox enables the search and retrieval of geographic data sets from Web Map Service (WMS) servers (for example, NASA JPL OnEarth and Microsoft TerraServer)
- Users can now access the MATLAB Central File Exchange, including thousands of user-contributed files, directly from the MATLAB environment
- Expanded multicore support for functions in MATLAB and Image Processing Toolbox, and parallel support for functions in Statistics Toolbox
- New interface in Parallel Computing Toolbox for accessing and manipulating distributed arrays on a cluster
- Support for processing arbitrarily large image files in Image Processing Toolbox
- Global settings to simplify arithmetic with fixed-point variables in Fixed-Point Toolbox
Key R2009b highlights for the MATLAB product family include extended support for multicore and multiprocessor systems as well as improvements for handling large data sets. MATLAB and Image Processing Toolbox now offer more multithreaded implementations of functions, and Statistics Toolbox adds parallel computing support for several functions. For users with large data sets, MATLAB now offers the ability to perform FFTs on data sets larger than 2 GB, Image Processing Toolbox adds a function to support processing of arbitrarily large TIFF images, and Parallel Computing Toolbox includes a new interface for working with large data sets that are distributed across a cluster.
Simulink R2009b Features
- Simulink Control Design — Automated tuning and turnkey PID controller blocks in Simulink for faster design and verification of these frequently used controllers
- Real-Time Workshop Embedded Coder — More efficient code generation for signal processing applications, with reduced data copies and optimized matrix operations
- Simulink Verification and Validation — Model Advisor Configuration Editor to manage and deploy a consistent set of checks and rules for modeling standards across an organization
- Simulink Design Verifier — New API that allows Embedded MATLAB to be used as a property specification language
- Variable size signals and data in Simulink, Signal Processing Blockset, and Embedded MATLAB code for simulation and code generation
- Model variants for managing design alternatives for Simulink and Real-Time Workshop
- Reduced data copies with Real-Time Workshop and customizable matrix operations for embedded signal processing code generation
- New interactive compilation report for analyzing array sizes and other Embedded MATLAB code characteristics
R2009b enables Simulink users to capture design variants in models and switch between model-wide configurations to better manage design alternatives and reuse. Engineers can now simulate and generate embeddable code from MATLAB programs and Simulink models containing arrays that dynamically change size over time, which are useful for applications such as object detection and motion tracking.
More info: The MathWorks