Xirrus, Inc. recently released its Wi-Fi Monitor utility as an open source desklet application for Linux. The free utility is already available on Windows Vista, Windows XP, and MacOS platforms. The Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor enables users to monitor, secure, and troubleshoot Wi-Fi networks quickly and easily. The Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor for Linux was developed under the gDesklet framework and will be made available under the GPL (General Public License). Developed in the Python language, users have access to the complete source code of the application for their own customization.
Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor Features
- At-a-glance radar-like view of available Wi-Fi networks and their relative distance
- Details on available Wi-Fi networks – SSID, signal strength, channel, security, etc.
- Current Wi-Fi connection signal strength with 5 minute history
- Display of Wi-Fi adapter IP and MAC addresses
- 9 different color skins
Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor Applications
- Searching for Wi-Fi networks
- Verifying Wi-Fi coverage
- Locating Wi-Fi devices
- Viewing and controlling laptop Wi-Fi settings
- Detecting rogue APs
- Aiming Wi-Fi antennas
- Education on Wi-Fi
More info: Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor