Innovision Research & Technology is making its Gem Near Field Communication (NFC) semiconductor intellectual property (IP) available under an evaluation licensing program. This will enable semiconductor companies to develop NFC capability, either for stand-alone solutions or as part of System-on-Chip (SoC) integrated NFC solutions. The move to license NFC silicon IP in this way will clear the way for semiconductor companies to move to the next stage of NFC integration in chipsets and devices. It will deliver significant unit cost benefits to implementers of NFC technology, and accelerate mass-market deployment of NFC. The IP is fully compliant with NFC standards and includes support for advanced features such as ‘battery off.’
The licensing program will enable developers to create high-performance SoC designs that fully integrate NFC into other complementary technologies, including WiFi and other wireless or power chipsets. The benefits of this include a reduction in the silicon area, complexity and production cost of NFC-enabled devices.
Innovision’s Gem IP will be offered to interested parties under an evaluation licence, with forthcoming test silicon. This will not only enable detailed evaluation of the NFC IP, but also enable the creation of demonstration systems to show to end-customers.
A key benefit of the Gem IP is its relative ease of transfer from one silicon foundry process or geometry to another, due primarily to the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) approach to much of the analogue design. Furthermore, the ability to customize its features, interface, performance, power requirements and, ultimately, die area, enables a market-leading NFC chip to be developed in months rather than years.
Gem NFC IP Features
- Operating distances up to 10 cm
- ETSI TS 102 613 v7.1.0 Single Wire Protocol (SWP)
- NFCIP-1/2 (ISO/IEC 18092, 21481, 14443A/B, 15693)
- ECMA 373 NFC wired interface
- Card and tag emulation modes
- Peer-to-Peer, Reader/Writer NFC Mode switch operation
- SPI, I2C, UART off-chip interfaces
- ARM AMBA APB on-chip interfaces also customizable for other on-chip processors
- Ultra low power operating modes
- 350nm to 90nm technology, customizable to 45nm
- Low external component count
More info: Innovision Research & Technology plc