Freescale Semiconductor recently developed an IP camera reference design based on the i.MX27 multimedia applications processor to address the growing video surveillance market as IP network cameras transition from analog to digital. The royalty-free i.MX27 IP camera reference design comes with a comprehensive hardware and software package, designed to allow OEMs to quickly design and deliver IP network cameras that offer crisp video streaming for video surveillance and other applications. The comprehensive i.MX27 IP camera reference design, including camera unit with tripod and comprehensive hardware and software packages, is expected to ship this quarter. Freescale’s i.MX27 applications processor is shipping in volume at a suggested resale price of $12.11 (USD) in 10K quantities.
- Innovative IP camera design is powered by the high-performing, low-power Freescale i.MX27 multimedia applications processor
- H.264 and MPEG-4 video compression, optimized for performance and power (dual-stream capable)
- Aptina 2 MP CMOS sensor with integrated ePTZ
- High quality Tamron CS-mount lens with manual iris
- Wired or wireless (802.11g) streaming
- Power-over-Ethernet (POE) enabled
- Embedded web server with client setup page for camera configuration and remote viewing
- Royalty-free reference design
- Comprehensive software and hardware design package enables OEM customization or can be taken direct to manufacture
Freescale’s hardware-optimized reference design is engineered to allow OEMs and ODMs to easily differentiate their own IP cameras with added features, instead of focusing on core hardware/software design. The Freescale IP camera reference design implements the “must have” features for IP network cameras, beginning with H.264 compression technology to minimize network bandwidth and provide outstanding image quality. Other features include low-power operation, Power-over-Ethernet (POE) technology for seamless integration into existing networks, and D1 resolution image compression for sharp image detail and fast intruder identification.
In addition to IP network cameras, the i.MX27 reference design targets the video and voice over IP (V2IP) market and can be used to create applications such as household doorbell products and consumer baby monitor devices. Consumers may view an enhanced live video feed – from their office, mobile or other connected product – allowing them to remotely track home security and receive email status notifications when a potential threat is detected. The design is ideal for V2IP applications requiring a camera, high-performance video compression, low-power operation and wired or wireless connectivity.
More information: i.MX27 IP Camera Reference Design