According to the EDA Consortium Market Statistics Service (MSS), the electronic design automation (EDA) industry revenue for Q4 2007 grew 6.7% to $1,602.7 million, versus $1,501.9 million in Q4 2006. The four-quarter average growth rate, which compares the most recent four quarters to the same four quarters in the prior year, was 9.1%. Companies that were tracked employed 27,563 professionals in Q4 2007, up 7.7% from the 25,586 employed in Q4 2006.
Revenue by Product Category
- EDA’s largest category, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), generated revenue of $663.6 million in Q4 2007, representing a 13.5 percent increase over the same period in 2006. The four quarter moving average CAE growth rate was 12.2 percent.
- For IC Physical Design & Verification, the next largest category, revenue increased to $440.5 million in Q4 2007, a 14.3 percent increase compared to Q4 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 12.3 percent for IC Physical Design & Verification.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $265.4 million in Q4 2007, a 6.3 percent decrease over Q4 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate for SIP remained positive at 4.1 percent.
- Services revenue was $79.4 million in Q4 2007, up 3.0 percent from Q4 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 9.3 percent for services.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue decreased 10.4 percent over Q4 2006 to $153.8 million. The four quarter moving average growth rate for PCB & MCM showed a 1.5 percent decrease.
Revenue by Consuming Region
- North America, EDA’s largest region, purchased $735.9 million of EDA products and services in Q4 2007. Although this represents a 5.6 percent decrease compared to a strong Q4 2006, the four quarter moving average growth rate was up 2.8 percent for North America.
- Western Europe revenue was up 9.8 percent in Q4 2007 compared to Q4 2006, with revenues of $316.9 million. The four quarter moving average growth for Western Europe was 9.9 percent.
- 2007 Q4 revenue from Japan increased 30.4 percent to $316.0 million compared to Q4 2006. The four quarter moving average increase was 10.1 percent for Japan.
- Rest-of-World (ROW) continued to extend previous years of revenue growth by increasing to $233.8 million, a 22.1 percent increase compared to the same quarter in 2006. The four quarter moving average growth was also strong at 30.8 percent.
More info: EDA Consortium