According to the EDA Consortium Market Statistics Service (MSS), the electronic design automation (EDA) industry revenue for Q3 2007 grew 7.2% to $1,412.1 million, versus $1,317.2 million in Q3 2006. The four-quarter average growth rate, which compares the most recent four quarters to the same four quarters in the prior year, was 12.3%. Companies that were tracked employed 27,254 professionals in Q3 2007, up 8.1 percent from the 25,214 employed in Q3 2006.
Revenue by Product Category
- Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) generated revenue of $564.6 million in Q3 2007, representing a 13.4% increase over the same period in 2006. The four quarter moving average CAE growth rate was 12.3%.
- IC Physical Design & Verification revenue increased to $372.8 million in Q3 2007, a 5.4% increase compared to Q3 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 11.4% for IC Physical Design & Verification.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $263.2 million in Q3 2007, a 3.5% increase over Q3 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate for SIP was 13.2%.
- Services revenue was $83.8 million in Q3 2007, up 11.9% from Q3 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 11.6% for services.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue decreased 6.4% over Q3 2006 to $127.7 million. However, the four quarter moving average growth rate for PCB & MCM was 13.3%.
Revenue by Consuming Region
- North America purchased $624.2 million of EDA products and services in Q3 2007. Although this represents a 1.9% decrease compared to Q3 2006, the four quarter moving average growth rate was 14.2% for North America.
- Western Europe revenue was up 13% in Q3 2007 compared to Q3 2006, with revenues of $284.5 million. The four quarter moving average growth for Western Europe was 8.5%.
- 2007 Q3 revenue from Japan increased 14.2% compared to Q3 2006 to $300.9 million. The four quarter moving average increase was 0.6% for Japan.
- Rest-of-World (ROW) continued to extend previous years of revenue growth by increasing to $202.4 million, a 22.2% increase compared to the same quarter in 2006. The four quarter moving average growth was also strong at 30.6%.
More info: EDA Consortium