According to In-Stat, the emerging WiMAX chipset market will be driven primarily by embedded Mobile WiMAX in mobile PCs through 2012. WiMAX Customer Premise Equipment (CPE), external clients and dual-mode cellular/WiMAX handsets will also help drive WiMAX chipset volumes through 2012. Major players in the user terminal chipset space in 2007 were Sequans, Intel, Beceem, Runcom and GCT Semiconductor. In-Stat expects the total WiMAX user terminal chipset market to reach almost $500 million in 2012, growing from $27 million in 2007. WiMAX base station semiconductor revenues are expected to be approximately $1.4 billion in 2012, compared to $130 million in 2007.
- Embedded mobile WiMAX in mobile PCs is expected to primarily drive WiMAX chipset volumes over the forecast period.
- WiMAX CPE (modems and gateways), external clients and dual-mode cellular/WiMAX handsets will also drive WiMAX volumes over the forecast period.
- Sequans and Intel, although both focused primarily on the Mobile WiMAX market, supplied much of the Fixed WiMAX user-terminal chipsets in 2007.
- Runcom, Beceem, GCT Semiconductor and Sequans supplied the majority of chipsets for KT’s various Mobile WiMAX product offerings.
- WiMAX Radio Frequency IC (RFIC) chip vendors—Maxim, PMC-Sierra, NXP, and Analog Devices — experienced solid wins over the course of 2007. Other WiMAX radio chip vendors include Sierra Monolithics, Atmel, and AsicAhead.
- The WiMAX base station semiconductor market is dominated by picoChip, TI, Freescale, Sequans, and Runcom.
- A multitude of chipset companies completely focused on the Mobile WiMAX market are expected to commercially release products in 2008, including Altair, Amicus, ApaceWave, Comsys, NextWave, Redpine Signals and XROnet.
- Intel’s combination Mobile WiMAX and Wi-Fi Echo Peak module, which will launch as an option to the company’s Montevina mobile processor platform release in 2008, is expected to drive the adoption of embedded WiMAX into mobile PCs.
The research, “WiMAX Chipset Market 2006-2012: Faith in Mobile WiMAX Drives Expected Volume Growth” (#IN0703847WT), covers the worldwide market for WiMAX chipsets. It provides forecasts for user terminal chipsets by product category, and base station semiconductor revenue through 2012. Extensive analysis of the competitive landscape is included. The price is $3,495 (US).