The electronic design automation (EDA) industry, grew by 11.4% to $1,408.8 million in Q2 of 2007, versus $1,264.8 million in Q2 2006. The four-quarter average growth rate, which compares the most recent four quarters to the same four quarters in the prior year, was 14.6%. This increase reflects both the continuing growth of the industry as a whole and the growth of the MSS program. Companies that were tracked employed 26,164 professionals in Q2 2007, up 7.4 percent from the 24,362 employed in Q2 2006.
Revenue by Product Category
- EDA’s largest category, Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE), generated revenue of $538.9 million in Q2 2007, 12.8 percent more than the same period in 2006. The four quarter moving average CAE growth rate was 11.8 percent.
- IC Physical Design & Verification revenue increased 15.8 percent to $397.2 million in Q2 2007, compared to the same quarter in 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 14.9 percent for IC Physical Design & Verification.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $269.2 million in Q2 2007, a 7.1 percent increase over Q2 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate for SIP was 18.1 percent.
- Services revenue was $84.8 million in Q2 2007, up 11.1 percent from Q2 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 9.5 percent for Services.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue increased 1.9 percent over Q2 2006 to $118.7 million. The four quarter moving average growth rate for PCB & MCM was high at 22.3 percent.
Revenue by Consuming Region
- North America, EDA’s largest region, purchased $679.2 million of EDA products and services in Q2 2007, a 13.2 percent increase over Q2 2006. The four quarter moving average growth rate was 19.9 percent for North America.
- Western Europe revenue was up 7.9 percent in Q2 2007 with revenues of $245.7 million compared to Q2 2006. The four quarter moving average growth for Western Europe was 8.7 percent.
- 2007 Q2 revenue from Japan declined 8.5 percent compared to Q2 2006 to $244.8 million. The four quarter moving average decrease was 1.0 percent for Japan.
- Rest-of-World (ROW) continued to extend previous years of revenue growth by increasing 41.2 percent to $239.0 million in Q2 2007 compared to the same quarter in 2006. The four quarter moving average growth was also strong at 31.7 percent.
EDA Consortium »